It is rumored that Cleopatra, who in my mind was a total B.C. bad-you-know-what, would wrap herself in black mud scooped from the depths of the Dead Sea and that before the invention of penicillin similar mud was used to treat serious wounds. And now in modern times, spas across the globe offer moor mud treatments, praising the therapeutic compound for treating such ailments (just to name a few) as:
- Mobility problems
- Hormonal imbalance
- Post surgery recovery
- Muscle recovery in sport medicine
So what’s this good for you goop made of, you might ask. It is an organic decomposition of plant matter and concentrated with phytonutrients, minerals, trace elements, vitamins, amino acids, plant hormones and fatty acids. This mega muck works to:
- Promote circulation
- Stimulate the immune system
- Relax muscle tissues
- Detoxify the body of harmful substances like metals
- Improve range of motion
- Act as a anti-bacterial
- Break down fat in the cells
As an athlete, I am always looking for ways to improve my performance. As a birth doula and holistic health coach, I am always looking for natural ways to help my clients experience optimal wellness. So, when April Lewis’ husband Louie Lewis (who I go to every week for a 30-minute massage as preventive medicine) recommended I try her moor mud wrap I thought, “Why not?” I mean, who wouldn’t enjoy stripping down to their skivvies and getting caked in ancient, anti-aging, anti-inflammatory, biochemical, thermo physical gunk? Well, OK maybe you might hesitate to try this but after I tell you about my experience—which was a-muck-mazing—you will probably change your mind.
First of all, April owns the Art of Yoga, Art of Massage and The Herb Room and she, in short, is a holistic powerhouse. Second of all, she doesn’t just order moor mud from a distributor. No. She’s got to make her own mixture which includes kelp, bentonite clay and essential oils like grapefruit, eucalyptus, lavender, cinnamon and black pepper. And she’s got to custom make it to each client because, well, that’s just the attention-to-detail-way she rolls. (She will even make a customized powdered version if you want to orally cleanse after your treatment.)
- Every uncovered inch of you (minus your face and feet) is covered with April’s signature moor mud concoction.
- Then you are wrapped in Ace bandages and snuggle into a warm robe.
- You lay down for 30 minutes on a heated massage table and, as April gives you an out-of-this-world foot and head massage, you feel a tingling sensation enliven your entire body.
- Next, it’s off to the shower to rinse and, as the water washes over you, you get a cool, energetic rush.
- After toweling off, you get dressed and immediately your clothes feel looser. Also, your skin feels clean, refreshed and rejuvenated.
From people suffering from chronic inflammation, to postpartum moms, to post-op patients, April’s moor mud wrap is an ideal treatment for anyone needing to invigorate their immune and lymphatic systems or looking to detox or lose those few extra pounds. I’m all about doing it on a regular (every four months) basis and every time I channel my inner Cleopatra.
—b.e.WELL + b.e.CREATIVE, Becca